In this text, I present 10 extra wide camping cots available on the market in 2018. These are the largest camping cots, suitable for use at places with a car and motorbike access.
Why extra large camping cots
If you are a tall person the answer is obvious. But even if you are not, you have probably noticed that the majority of camping cots are rather narrow; I am short myself but having more space is always welcome.
Yet another important reason is: such wide and long cots can be used as platforms for tents, so you have the tent-cot structure like many of those described within this site.
In such a use, these are 3-in-1 type tools where you have tents and cots that can be used both separately and together. See for example my text about the Teton Sports Outfitter, and the Kodiak Canvas Swag 1 Person Tent shown also in the picture below.
Extra wide cots side by side
Here are all of them, ordered by the width, with the widest on the top. Many of them are suitable to be used as platforms for tents:
All these cots are camping tools, and by this, I mean the tools to be used at places with the car or motorbike access. Although they are collapsible and so nicely packable, with the weight typically around 10 kg, they are not designed to be carried in backpacks.
The list includes the following types:
- Military style cots with X-shape legs.
- Military style cots with S-shape legs.
- Cots with H-shape legs.
- Instant setup cots without end bars.
- The lower width limit for all cots in the list is 33 inches (84 cm).
Note, this list includes only single cots. If you need a double wide camping cot for 2 people, please check my separate text.
1. Alps Mountaineering Camp Cot XL
This is a very typical military style cot with a simple and sturdy design. In spite of its huge size, its weight is quite reasonable and you will realize this when you compare it with its competitors below.
All Alps Mountaineering Cots are presented in detail in my separate text, so please follow this link to see more.
- Weight: 19 lb (8.6 kg).
- Dimensions (L x W x H): 86 x 40 x 22 in (216 x 102 x 56 cm).
- Packed size: 49 x 9 x 5 in (124 x 23 x 13 cm).
2. Browning Camping Titan Cot XP
This is a particularly sturdy construction, due to strong materials and the style of its structure. The legs are angled and this prevents the cot from “rocking”, while its telescoping support in the center makes the cot even more strong than the traditional x-leg cots. The fabric is 600D polyester, and the frame is aluminum with sturdy steel connectors.
It folds up easily and fits into a carry bag so it transports and stores easily when not in use.
Stand out features
- Two side pockets and one of them is detachable, to use as a toiletry bag in the camp.
- A large Velcro pillow pocket section where you can put clothes to create a pillow or a headrest at the height you prefer if you do not carry a pillow. Really cool.
All these features you can see in this video, please have a look:
Specifications & summary of features
- Weight: 20.5 lb (9.3 kg).
- Dimensions (L x W x H): 85 x 40 x 21 in (216 x 102 x 53 cm).
- Zippered carry bag: 48 x 9 x 5 in (122 x 23 x 13 cm).
- Weight capacity: 450 lb (205 kg).
- Rock solid design, note the leg structure.
- Angled end legs prevent “rocking”.
- Sidebar support for strength.
- Extra telescoping center support.
- Detachable side pocket.
- Large “pillow” pocket.
- 600D polyester fabric.
- Pro-Tec powder-coated aluminum frame.
3. Coleman Airbed Cot Twin
This Coleman Cot is a unique here in the group for several reasons. As you realize from the picture, it includes an air mattress, a cover, and a pump. Apart from this, you also have a side table with a cup holder. So this is a complete sleeping system.
This cot is considerably shorter than the majority of the cots here in the list. This is good to know if you are not a tall person but want to have a wide bed. Here you have a 102 cm wide comfortable structure with a very soft air mattress.
- Weight: 30.8 in (14 kg).
- Dimensions: 74 x 40 x 23.5 in (188 x 102 x 60 cm).
- Packed size: 38 x 11 x 9 in (97 x 28 x 23 cm).
- Weight capacity: 300 lb (136 kg).
4. Eureka Camping Cot XL
This is a great tool for sleeping off the ground. The frame is a combination of aluminum and steel, strong yet lightweight, suitable for up to 300 lb (136 kg) of weight. This is a rather typical X-shaped structure as you can see from the picture.
The fabric is 600D x 300D heavy duty polyester with back-coating for durability. The cot comes with a carry bag included (shown below), and you also get a zippered pocket 18 x 8 inches (46 x 20 cm) to store small items for easy access.
It assembles very quickly, the main structure and the fabric are folded together, so all you have to do is to unfold it and to add the end bars, and the cot is ready. This is very similar to what you can see in the Slumberjack model below.
Note, there are some small differences in numbers on Amazon and those presented here which are directly from the Eureka brand site so they are more reliable.
This product comes with a lifetime warranty.
- Weight: 24 lb 13 oz (11.3).
- Dimensions (L x W x H): 86 x 40 x 21.5 in (218 x 102 x 55 cm).
- Packed size: 47 x 7.5 x 5 in (120 x 19 x 13 cm).
5. Slumberjack Big XL Cot
This is a 300-pound rated cot with reinforced steel bars and aluminum frame, and guaranteed not to squeak, for a quiet night. It comes with a carrying bag to store easily.
You can store your gear in the storage loft attached under the cot so it is always close at hand. This is one of the longest cots on the market.
See how it looks and how easy it is to assemble it:
- Includes: storage loft with mesh gear pocket, carry bag.
- Fabric: 600D x 300D Polyester.
- Dimensions (L x W x H): 86 x 40 x 20 inches (218 x 102 x 51 cm).
- Weight Capacity: 300 pounds (136 kg).
- Warranty: Limited Lifetime.
6. Teton Sports Outfitter XXL Cot
This cot is presented in detail in my separate text together with the Teton Sports Outfitter Tent, so please follow the link to see more. Here, I would like to stress that this is probably the most popular cot on the market, an iconic design, and a great combination of the size, capacity, and price.
This cot serves as the platform for the Teton Sports Outfitter tent. The most important parameters are as follows:
- Weight: 26 lb (11.8 kg).
- Size (L x W x H): 85 x 40 x 19 in (216 x 102 x 48 cm).
- Packed size: 42 x 12 x 7 in (107 x 31 x 18 cm).
7. Guide Gear XL Magnum Cot
This is one of the largest cots on the market, with a great capacity, a very reliable top-notch tool with a very reasonable price tag.
This great cot is only 3 cm narrower than the other cots shown above. However, its dimensions are really impressive as well as its capacity which is among the highest of all cots on the market. It is incredible that its price is only around $90.
- Weight: 31.3 lb (14.2 kg).
- Capacity: 600 lb (272 kg).
- Dimensions (L x W x H): 84 x 39 x 20 in (213 x 99 x 51 cm).
- Packed size: 45 x 9 x 7 in (114 x 23 x 18 cm).
8. Coleman Big-N-Tall Cot
This is a very typical military style cot with a simple assembly which only implies unfolding it and adding the two end bars. The width is 89 cm, still very impressive, and the capacity is among the highest of all cots on the market. See also its incredible length.
This Coleman cot comes with a particularly nicely designed carry bag. Please see more in my detailed review.
- Weight: 35.2 lb (16 kg).
- Dimensions (L x W x H): 84 x 35 x 16.5 in (213 x 89 x 42 cm).
- Packed size: 43.3 x 11 x 5.5 in (110 x 28 x 13 cm).
- Capacity: 600 lb (272 kg).
9. Texsport King Kot Giant Easy Set-Up
With its 83 x 35 inches (216 x 89 cm) bed size, this is one of the largest cots on the market. So this is not only about the width. This cot is the same width as the Coleman Cot above, but it is 3 cm longer.
As you realize from the picture, this is a very typical military style X-frame with a simple set up. The price is very reasonable, only $95.
- Weight: 20 lb (9.07 kg).
- Capacity: 350 lb (159 kg).
- Size (L x W x H): 83 x 35 x 20 in (211 x 89 x 51 cm).
- Packed size: 36 x 10 in (91 x 25 cm).
10. Kamp Rite Oversize Kwik Cot
Here you have a rather specific design, an instant setup cot without end bars. So its length is a fully useful length and this is what makes it very different from any military style cot.
The width here is “only” 84 cm, so this is a size of a standard bed at home, and this will be my lower limit for extra wide cots included here in the list.
The Kamp Rite cot comes with side storage pouches on both sides. Would you believe that its price is only around $74? Please check the link below for updates.
- Weight: 23 lbs (10.4 kg).
- Capacity: 350 lbs (159 kg).
- Setup size (L x W x H): 84 x 33 x 22 in (213 x 84 x 56 cm).
- Folded size (L x W x H): 41 x 7 x 8 in (104 x 18 x 20 cm).
To conclude this review with extra wide camping cots, as you realize, all models presented here truly belong to the group of extra wide cots, all are above 33 inches (84 cm) wide. They all are also extra large cots in general in view of their length.
So these are great tools also for tall people and to be used as platforms for tents in cot-tent structures. This site is all about such tools, so just check here to see all tools of this type for one person.
The cots presented in the text are relatively heavy but collapsible, suitable for use at places with car access. But if you need something of this sort for backpacking, please follow this link with many truly great models which you can carry attached to your backpack.
Thank you for reading. I hope the text has been useful to you. In the case of questions or comments please use the comment box below. I wish you a nice day.