This page and the site, in general, are about best tent cots for camping. Recently, tent-cots and cots are becoming very popular and this for all good reasons: they are reliable, easy to use, and affordable. Read here more what a tent cot is, how it is used, and see all the benefits of having one.
Do you like the concept of tent cots?
I really hope you do. If this is so, then have a look around. This site is aimed at providing information about ALL tent cots for camping that are available on the market. You have two distinct groups:
- Tent-cots: with tents sitting on a cot.
- Cots: outdoor items designed to be used inside a bigger tent.
Se here are a couple of great examples of tent-cots:
And here are a couple of cots in very different styles:
Why you would want to have a tent cot
- A tent cot is easy to set up on any terrain.
- These are free-standing tools. This means you can pitch it up anywhere, without thinking how to stake it to the ground.
- Easy to pack and store in the car.
- It is very comfortable.
- Sleeping off the ground requires less insulation beneath you.
- You can put it in the garden, on your terrace, on your flat roof if you have it, and then have a comfortable sleep when it is too hot in the house. Sleeping on a terrace sounds like something children would enjoy to do.
- It is versatile:
- Some of the models offer true 3-in-1 features. You can use the cot and the tent separately or combined. So you have both: a backpacking & hiking tool to carry in your backpack, and you have a tool for comfortable camping.
- This is a cot and tent, and a lounge chair when needed.
- You are an off-road adventurer? Then this is something for you.
- If you are a mountaineer, this is a tool to use to spend a night at high mountain passes with car access. Next morning you will be ready to go. Need a tent to carry in the backpack? No problem: detach it from the cot base and you have it.
- It is a great item to have if you go fishing and hunting.
- This is a tool to have in case of emergency situations, both as a tent or just as a cot.
- Tent cots are with a durable and sturdy construction.
- They offer full protection from elements.
- Tent cots are built in different sizes, single, double, oversize.
- Above all, tent cots are affordable, see the prices and compare with what you would have to pay for a big tent that can accommodate a cot inside, plus a cot of course.
See how easy it is to set it up, Kamp-Rite Double Tent Cot
Why it is so important to be off the ground
See the following facts:
- You lose much more warmth to the ground than to the air. So you need to invest in an expensive sleeping pad rather than in a sleeping bag. See this in more detail here:
- You lose around 40 times more body heat to the soil than to the air.
- If you sleep on a rocky surface you lose some 55 times more heat to the ground than to the air.
- So you have to invest in a good pad with a high R-value, and they are expensive.
- This reduces the usual dampness considerably.
- This saves you from many insects.
- Have you ever tried sleeping on the ground? If yes then you know: it is not so comfortable.
- If you have to move and dismantle an ordinary tent after the rain, you know well that its floor is wet and dirty. With a tent cot this is different. Water goes away from it very easily, and the only points of contact with the ground are its bar-legs. So you will have it packed rather neat and clean.