Kamp-Rite Compact Tent Cot XL is an enlarged version of the Kamp Rite CTC Standard. So you have all the same basic features and a bit more of space.
From the specifications below you will see that this model is 12 cm longer and 10 cm wider than the CTC Standard model. So indeed it offers more space while the functionality is completely the same. The whole structure is 1.4 kg heavier as well.
The functionality implies that:
- Here too you have a 3-in-1 product, so that tent and cot can be used both separately and together. The tent can be carried in the backpack for hiking tours and it can be used just like any standard tent for sleeping on the ground. You will notice that the tent peak is a few centimeters higher than in the case of the CTC Standard model.
- This tent-cot belongs to those that are both foldable and collapsible. It can be packed in a relatively small package of 20 x 23 x 107 cm.
- It is very easy to set up, all the job is doable in just a few minutes.
So this is an elevated tent that sits on a cot, it is a double-layer type with a taffeta inner tent plus a rain fly. The top picture above shows it without the fly so that you can see the roof structure. The tent attaches to the cot in two ways
- Along the long sides there are zippers.
- On the narrow sides there is velcro.
At both ends you have two zippered windows with mesh against flying insects and mosquitoes, good for ventilation as well. They are equipped with zippered panels as well.
I already mentioned mesh windows on the inner tent. Now, when you add the fly, it is well separated from the inner tent which hangs attached to the poles. So there is a large gap in between for air circulation to fight condensation.
But note also that they have added vents on the fly itself and they match the position of the inner mesh windows, see the picture below. So there is not much to object to such a design.
The structure shown above is around 57 inches tall from the ground to the top.
- There are straps on the ceiling to hang a lantern.
- Mesh storage shelf is underneath the cot.
- Interior storage pouches.
Who is it for
Weight-wise, with its 28 lbs (12.7 kg) of weight, this is a car camping item. But the tent itself is fully floored and detachable so you can indeed carry it on some shorter tours. Note that the tent has holes and you can stake it down (stakes are not included).
Seasons-wise, this is a tent-cot that can be used in all seasons. However, it is rather enclosed and if you have to keep the fly on, it would not be great in a warm climate.
So I see it better suited for a cooler environment. The inner windows are closable and the same holds for the inner door, so you can control the inner climate as much as it is possible in a tent.
You are well off the ground when you are in bed, 21 inches (63 cm) strictly speaking, so you can use it anywhere literally, no matter if this is snow underneath the cot or mud or grass. But with such legs, it will sink in soft ground.
Size-wise, well, this is an XL version as its name suggests. So the bed is 84 x 33 inches (213 x 84 cm), and this should be fine even for very tall users.
The packed size 42 x 9 x 8 inches (107 x 23 x 20 cm) is such that you need a car for transportation. This is not for a motorbike. Note that it is necessary to detach the tent when you pack the system, otherwise it will not fit easily in the carry bag.
Please see more in this video:
What is included
- Waterproof Rain Fly [RF742].
- Heavy Duty 600D Roller Wheeled Carry Bag.
- 190T Carry Bag (tent only) [CB403].
- Spreader Bar.
My rating, price, pros & cons
This construction is similar to what you have in other collapsible Kamp Rite models, so it is stable and sturdy.
If you compare it with Winterial tent cot, you will see what is missing: an awning or overhang in front, above the door. This is good to have in any case, to sit in front of it, or to protect you when entering the tent during the rain.
In the link below you have the daily updated Amazon-US price for this tent-cot so you realize it is very affordable.
This cot tent has received a really remarkable rating by Amazon customers, and for all good reasons. Please see how I rate it:
My rating of the Kamp Rite Compact Tent Cot XL:
Weight - 5.6/10
Size - 9.3/10
Capacity - 8/10
Packed size - 8/10
Ease of use & features - 9.5/10
My overall rating of this cot-tent is Very Good:
- Very easy to use.
- Stable and sturdy.
- Complete protection of elements.
- Comfortable sleeping.
- Small windows.
- Not great ventilation.
User Review( votes)
- Weight: 28 lbs (12.7 kg).
- Cot size (W x L x H): 33 x 84 x 21 in (84 x 213 x 53 cm).
- Tent size (W x L x H): 33 x 84 x 40 in (84 x 213 x 102 cm).
- Folded size (W x L x H): 8 x 9 x 42 in (20 x 23 x 107 cm).
- Max. weight: 350 lbs (159 kg).
- 190 TPU fabric.
- All seams taped.
- No-see-um mesh on windows and doors.
- Overhead zippered windows at each end of the tent top.
- Heavy-duty frame.
- Fiberglass tent poles.
To conclude this text about Kamp Rite Compact Tent Cot XL, this model is completely identical to the Standard CTC model, the only differences are in its dimensions. Length, width, and height are different here and consequently the weight as well. There is also some difference in the price.
Its 3-in-1 feature is something that definitely makes the difference when you compare it with other foldable models; this is a truly versatile tool. I have added it to my list of best single cot-tents.
Check on Amazon
Check at Walmart
Thank you for reading. It will be great to hear from you, there is a comment box below.
2 thoughts on “Kamp-Rite Compact Tent Cot XL – Enlarged Version”
This is a pretty cool thing. You gave a great deal of information on it, but I am curious is it available in any department stores, like Academy? and is it available in different colors?
Hi Trisha, I have no idea what Academy is. As far as I know this is the only color for this model. Some other models of Kamp Rite have camouflage rain covers but not this one.